Book Update: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


“THUG - The Hate U Give Little Infants Fuck Everybody”
Author: Angie Thomas
Publication Date: February 28, 2017
Pages: 464

Hello! It’s been quite a while since I write anything here and let me make a comeback by writing a short review of a book that I’ve read a few weeks ago. Lucky for me, I got the book for free as I won the competition on International Book Day. Who wouldn’t want a free book?! I think we all do!

Let’s just start, shall we?

The Hate U Give (THUG) is a young adult novel written by Angie Thomas. The book centers in the story of Starr Carter, a 16-year-old black girl who witnesses the murder of her own best-friend, Khalil. Khalil, who is black, is shot by a white police officer. Additionally, the story tells the journey of Starr who speaks up about the shooting publicly, the injustice, and the social tensions which occur after the court decides not to punish the police officer.

As the story goes, we can see how a 16-year-old cope, fight back and speak up publicly under a lot of pressure. I can safely say that I think the roller-coaster of Starr’s life is far beyond comprehension; nonetheless, it helps the readers to understand how someone deals with that kind of situation.

I like how Starr’s character develops as the story goes. Starting from afraid, angry, fighting back and finally showing her acceptance.

The book was adapted into a film by Fox 2000 in October 2018. It was well reviewed but made only 34 million dollars against a budget of 23 million dollars.

I would recommend you to both read and watch the movie! It’s extremely eye-opening.

Ok so I realized this is such a bad review for I haven’t been writing for a while. I hope I can write a better one next time.

This is the end of the review, haha. I’ll see you on the next post!

Previous book updates:

Comments