[15 Day Challenge] LUCKY by Alice Sebold.



Hi to the people of the world! I know it’s been ages since I have written my last post. And I have completely abandoned the challenge that I promised to do and continued. I actually have no excuses as to why I leave the challenge, I was simply not in the mood and just like that I forgot about it (typical). Anyway, I still would like to continue doing the challenge and see how far I will go. So, this post will be the continuation of the challenge. This should have been day 7 with the challenge “recommend a book to read and why do you think it is important”. Hence, I’d like to recommend a book in this post.
 
source: google image
I would like to recommend anyone who comes across this post to read Lucky by Alice Sebold. First off, I want to tell a little bit about Alice Sebold. She is an American writer and so far she has published three books; namely, The Lovely Bones (2002), The Almost Moon (2007) including Lucky (1999), the one that I’m going to recommend to you. Lucky is actually a memoir which describes one of Sebold’s critical experiences in her life, which was being raped. In this book, she describes her experiences of being raped and how this experience has changed her for the rest of her life. She depicts the struggle of having to live with the title ‘raped’, also how she sees the world. 

Why I like this book is because it talks about a sensitive issue which actually should not be neglected. It is important to see the issue through the eye of someone who has experienced it. Moreover, the fact that she reported the case to the police is something that I see as brave. Since as far as I’m concerned, many women are afraid to report their case to the police because they are simply afraid of the judgment and ashamed of what they have gone through. With the story, Sebold implicitly shows that the victims are not the one who should be ashamed of what happened but the doer should. Far too often I heard how the rape victims are being blamed for something they never even wish to happen. Furthermore, I am also amazed by how strong Sebold is in facing her condition in the story.  

Hopefully, with this side of the story, through this book, people can see how tough it is to live under the circumstances of ‘rape victim’ and stop blaming the victim for the action. That is why I believe that this is important to be read. I wish there will be a change.

Comments