HAPHAZARD JOURNAL #3: Museum Macan.

Are you tired of going to the same old shopping center or café? Wanted to try something new? Let me introduce you to Museum Macan. As far as I’m concerned, this place is quite popular right now and lots of people have talked about the Museum. Well, let me tell you about my visit there. Just a little information, Museum Macan does not literally mean that it showcases ‘macan’ (tigers). Macan is short for Modern and Contemporary Art in Nusantara. The museum exhibits artworks by Indonesian and International artists.

Museum Macan is located in AKR Tower, Jalan Panjang No.5, Kebon Jeruk, RT.11/RW.10, Kb. Jeruk, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11530 (got it from google!). The museum aims to be a platform for local and international artists to present their work to a global audience and will commission new works by artists that broaden perspective on contemporary art in and beyond Indonesia, so this is good news for artists and art lovers!

Well, first and foremost I’d like to confess that I am neither a connoisseur of art nor an expert of art. I happen to know that there is a beautiful space in the Museum, thus, I’d like to check it out. Therefore, this ‘review’ is merely on my personal experience of the place not about the art in particular (sorry!).

Discussing about the place, personally, I am really fond of it. Even though it is not very big, it feels like it since it is very open and close to huge windows. Thus, it seems like an open space. It is located on the top floor (I can’t recall which floor), so you can see the view of buildings from the window. There is also a little corner to drink coffee or tea if you happen to come early. From my standpoint, the Museum is very neat and well-arranged.

One of the most well-known spot in the Museum is the infinity mirror room. Unfortunately, I forgot to the take a picture of the complete sign, so I fail to remember who created the spot. Nevertheless, the space is very beautiful. It is dark and full of little lights, you feel like you are in a space between the moon and the stars. It is simply incredible. You can only be in the room for at least 45 seconds to do whatever you want there, take pictures or record videos. You have to be careful though if you visit the space because you are surrounded with water so you need to stay still in the yellow circle provided inside. If you ask me whether those 45 seconds were worth it? Of course it was! And you also need to be patient because the line is extremely long, but I can assure you that it will be worth it.

Besides the famous infinity room, you can also see paintings from Indonesian and International artists as well as several artworks. From what I remember, you can see paintings of Balinese people in the past. It depicts how Balinese people used to live, also paintings that showcase the struggle of Indonesia to reach independence. In short, there are many things you can see and enjoy at the Museum.

In every corner of the room, you will see lots of staffs of the Museum and also securities. For myself, at first I feel uncomfortable since I do not feel free when I stare at the paintings or take pictures. But hey, I cannot really complain since they are there for good reasons and I was and am fully aware that I stare and take pictures of precious and of course expensive artworks. Overall, the service of the museum is satisfying. They remind people gently if people get too close to the artworks. 


If you would like to visit Museum Macan, you have various options to choose, namely, public transportation like train or bus and it is easy to reach. As for the price, you will have to pay 50,000 rupiah for adult, 40,000 rupiah for student/senior and 30,000 rupiah for children. If you want everything to be convenient, you can purchase the ticket through Museum Macan official website previously then you do not have to queue again in the Museum.

Finally, if you feel bored for going to the same place over and over again for entertainment in the city, I recommend you to try and visit the Museum.

Have fun!

For further information you can check http://www.museummacan.org/





Comments