HAPHAZARD JOURNAL #2: Big Bad Wolf 2017 Experience.

Source: bigbadwolfbooks.com


Big Bad Wolf Books is said to be one of the biggest book fair in the world. Why? Because they sold nearly 4 million books AND they have a very cheap price since they sell it with 75% until 95% off. What a heaven for any book nerds out there, including me. This is actually my second time visiting BBW since I went to the book fair last year as well. I first heard about BBW through one of my lecturers who really wishes she could go there but couldn’t; hence, without thinking any further, I volunteered myself to go there.


You could say that my first experience was not bad at all. The only thing that crossed my mind at the time was how I wished I brought more money because I did not think that it will be THAT inexpensive. A book which used to cost 175 thousand rupiah, in BBW it costs only 50 thousand rupiah! I mean…who wouldn’t want that? So, this year when I heard that it was going to be held again, I did not waste my time to think twice to go there. I had planned every book that I would love to buy.


This year, the venue is even bigger than before. It was still held in Indonesia Convention Exhibition (ICE) BSD, Tangerang; nevertheless, the spaces are bigger so it was good news. They opened for 280 hours nonstop! It started on April 21st – May 2nd and they opened for 24 hours.

What I love the most about the book fair is of course the prices as they come with really good prices. I often come across difficulties if I want to buy books in English because it was quite expensive; therefore, I often think twice if I want to buy them. Different from the regular book store, BBW offered low prices for English books so it was such a bliss for me. There are also a lot of choices that I can pick. The genre are also various, there are; fiction, non-fiction, young-adults and many more. Again, I could only wish that I had more money at the time because there were many things that I would love to buy.

Source: hot.detik.com
However, the maddening moment for me was all the books which I wished I could buy were nowhere to be found. Consequently, I could not buy books that I really wanted. But, at the time I found somebody with the books that I want, I didn’t know how they could get that because the staffs told me that there were sold out. They must have looked better than me because I believed that you needed to look closely in order to get what you want since the place is really huge. I just thought to myself that I didn’t look hard enough and was not lucky enough. At the fair, I was aware that you could keep the book for 24 hours at certain stacks so if you did not bring enough money you could come back again. Maybe those people, who get the book, get it from the returned one. 

Another infuriating moment was the line. The line was so long. I had to wait for nearly an hour and half to pay for my books. There were often technical errors at the cashiers also people who cut the line (how dare they!). But overall, the line was managed better than last year, because there were more staffs and there was line to keep the people where they should be.


All in all, even though I did not get the books that I wanted, I still got some pretty good books because there were just so many to choose from and they are all great to read. It was such a great occasion for people who love books like me. I wish that they can hold the event twice or thrice a year instead of just once. So, see you on Big Bad Wolf 2018!


Comments