Movie Update: X-Men - Dark Phoenix (2019)


Release Date: June 4th, 2019
Director: Simon Kinberg
Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp, Jessica Chastain
Rotten Tomatoes: 23%
IMDb: 6.1/10

X-Men is back ladies and gents! Who’s excited? Truth be told, I don’t really follow the X-Men franchise and I only watch some of it. However, it’s always a pleasure watching new movies. So, let’s talk about Sansa…. I mean Jean Grey, shall we?

X-Men: Dark Phoenix focuses on the story of Jean Grey who was 8 years old when she uses her telekinesis to cause a car accident and kills her parent. Afterwards, Professor Charles Xavier took her and mentally blocks the accident from her mind in order to ‘manage’ her powers. When the X-Men must save people after a space mission goes wrong, they have to face the full power of the Phoenix which is ‘absorbed’ by Jean as she is trying to save the people from the plane.

Let’s talk about things that I love from the movie first. People are not a fan of the movie, especially the character development. Well, in this one I actually like how Shopie Turner portrays Jean Grey as the strongest mutant after she gets the power of ‘Phoenix’. She looks pretty convincing and is capable to show that she is indeed a strong mutant. Additionally, it’s safe to Michael Fassbender aka Magneto is the scene stealer in this movie! (Well, at least for me). He has that charm and charisma that are able to captivate the audience. I love his scenes at the train especially the one with the guns, man it is super cool! My favorite scene would be the one the train, probably because there is Magneto there, haha.

Moving on to the things that I don’t really like, the first one would be the fact that the source of power, in this case “Phoenix” is not well explored. I’d love to know more about the Phoenix itself, where it comes from and what it can do. It was just shown super brief by the Villain—Vuk, it only reaches the surface of the Phoenix description. The second would be the motives of the villain. I don’t think that it is well-shown or explored as well. It seems pretty dull for me and not at all convincing somehow.

As the last installment to the Fox X-Men series, I don’t think it gives the ultimate conclusion or end. Oh well… AND one more thing, the chemistry from Mystique and Beast is on point! I ship them for sure.

If you would like to watch it, go and see for yourself and see it for the Queen in the North!


Comments