Haphazard Journal #11: New Year’s Eve in The Paris of Java


Should’ve written this earlier but I’ve been too busy doing nothing and wasting my time watching Netflix, so here we go.

This year for New Year, my family decided to do something different. Instead of gathering together with the neighbors for New Year’s celebration, we chose to go to Bandung and celebrated there. We never really spent New Year’s Eve outside of the city before, so we were all excited but of course expecting the worst of traffic as we totally fathomed its craziness during holiday season especially in one of the most visited city, Bandung.

We went on Sunday, 30th of December 2018. Our first stop is Kopo, my mother’s hometown as we’d like to visit my Grandma’s cemetery. We booked 2 hotels, one in Kopo and one in the center of Bandung which I’d like to share my review as well in this post. We didn’t really do much during the first trip. Everything was good, there was no traffic (thank God) and we just kinda spent the day visiting my Grandma’s cemetery and went out to eat.


source: tiket.com

source: tiket.com
We stayed Hotel 88 Bandung Kopo. It was a 2 stars hotel so the price was pretty cheap. I got the price of 400k Rupiah for a Superior Twin Room from Traveloka. The precise location was in Jl. KH Wahid Hasyim No.459, Cirangrang, Babakan Ciparay, Kota Bandung, Jawa Barat. We ordered only one room and as it was only meant for two people (I was with my parents, sister and cousin); so, we did felt like the room was quite small. However, the overall room, bathroom and services were all super nice and comfy. AND the fact that the room was small was covered with the view that we received. It was a beautiful sight of the city. What I loved the most was the food. I received breakfast for two at such a reasonable price for my room and the meal was delicious. There were plenty of choices from porridge, fried rice, toast and many more; hence, I was pretty satisfied though I had to wait for a couple of minutes as the food hall was full of people. 

The next day, we didn’t really have any plan to visit certain places so I just looked out of the maps to see interesting places to visit and decided to go to the Forest Walk in Babakan Siliwangi. As any other tourism places during holiday season, it was pretty crowded. However, the view and air were nice and we got to see something green to freshen up our eyes. Additionally, I got to try a lot of childhood food that I like so it’s all good! Haha. 

This is the only picture I took of Little Seoul.
It wasn't very flattering or anything, just a
small corner as every other place is just full of
people.
After that my little cousin was really keen to visit Little Seoul Bandung. So we went there. I thought the place would be huge, but it turns out that it was like a restaurant with Korean-like concept. It should have known as the name itself is 'Little' but oh well... And man, there was soooo many people over there. As a result, we didn’t really stay long there, just to fill in my cousin’s curiosity to see the place and afterwards wewent out.







source: tripadvisor

source: pegipegi.com
The next night we stayed at De’rain Hotel. It was a 3 stars hotel and of course the price was still pretty affordable. If I'm not mistaken, I got it for around 400k Rupiah for a twin bed room from Traveloka. The location was quite near Alun-Alun Bandung, that’s actually why we chose the hotel. It is located in Jl. Lengkong Kecil No.76-80, Paledang, Lengkong. Compared to the first hotel, the room in this hotel was definitely way more spacious. Moreover, the overall services, location and convenience were pretty good and neat. The hotel also has rooftop where you can eat and enjoy the scenery from above and a gym. One thing that I wasn’t fond of was the WiFi, it was very slow. 

For the New Year’s Eve, we actually went to Alun-Alun Bandung, but OH MY MY it was extremely crowded! So we just went back to the hotel instead. We watched the fireworks from the rooftop of the hotel and it was really breath-taking to see all the fireworks from the top and it was all around the city so it was nice.

It’s a new day and obviously a new year. Hopefully, we get the chance and are able to realize our goals and dreams this year. To end this, may we always make the best of our year and enjoy every moment of it. See you on the next post!

Comments