HAPHAZARD TALE #3: The Story of Dewy.

source: weheartit.com




“Trust me! You are going to love this!” Matt cannot hide his excitement anymore. He keeps convincing his friend that he will enjoy the ride. Well, it is not exactly a ride, it is only a slide but high enough for children to make it look ‘dangerous’.

“I’m not sure, Matty. I don’t want us to get hurt.” A voice behind Matt sounds unsure. However, he does not back down. He still stands beside Matt.

“Please Dewy. Come with me. I don’t want to slide alone, please, please pretty please.” Matt lets out everything he can say to persuade his friend, Dewy. He showcases a pout and his best puppy eyes so that his invitation will not be turned down.

“Fine. But just once!” Dewy finally gives in and Matt jumps up and down knowing that he eventually gets what he wants.

At last, it is Matt and Dewy’s turn. Dewy is hesitant, meanwhile Matt cannot seem to wait any longer to slide. “Wohoooo! Matt and Dewy against the world!” Matt shouts the word while sliding. He lets out the brightest and happiest smile.

“Matty, it is time to go.” Matt’s father calls him from the bench near the slide and takes out his hand for Matty to take.

Matty voluntarily takes his father hand, “I want to come here again tomorrow Papa, please.”

“I don’t think so Matt, tomorrow is your first day of school.” Papa gently pats Matt’s head.

“I’m scared, Papa. I don’t know anyone.” Matt lets out a small sigh and looks down; feeling terrified of the day ahead.

“Don’t worry kiddo! Everything will be fine.” Papa reassures Matty and plans a small kiss on his forehead.

“I have Dewy luckily.” Matty says in respond and Papa only gives out a small smile to his answer.
↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭
  
“Dewy, I’m scared. I don’t know anybody in the school. Will you please come with me tomorrow?” Matt calls Dewy from his bed. Dewy is sitting in the sofa, reading a book.

“Sure, Matty. I will always be there when you need me.”  Dewy reassures him while moving to Matt’s bed so that they can talk better.

“Do you know what the school is like?” Matty moves his head to the side so he can see Dewy. But before Dewy could answer, they hear a knock on the door. Then, Mama and Papa open the door.

“You haven’t sleep, kid?” Papa moves closer to the bed and pulls the blanket. Mama notices the space beside Matt and asks, “Talking to Dewy, huh?”

“Yeah, we are talking about our first day tomorrow.” Matt answers, trying to keep his eyes open.

“Okay Matty and Dewy, don’t talk too late please. You have a big day tomorrow,” Mama plants a kiss on Matt’s forehead and followed by Papa. Afterwards, they get out of the room. From the sound of their footsteps, Matty and Dewy are sure that they are heading to the bedroom, ready for bed.

“Let’s go to sleep, Matt. Don’t worry about tomorrow okay?” Dewy convinces him again and sees that Matt gives him a small nod. They doze off to sleep later on.

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭ 

A bus stops in front of the house. Someone is getting off of it. Quick steps are heard approaching the house.

“I’m home!” Matt shouts from the front door. He wonders around the house and cannot find anyone. He shouts once again, “Papa? Dewy?”

“I’m here kid!” Papa replies loudly from his work space. Papa is stacking books. He stands up and welcomes Matty with a big hug, “How’s first day? Good?”

“It was! I have some new friends Papa. They are all very nice. I’m so happy. Do you know where Dewy is? I can’t find him anywhere. I’ve been looking for him.” Matt asks his Papa and looks for any sign of Dewy.

“Well… Hmm, are you hungry? Do you want something to eat? Or snack? Mama is working, so I can cook you something.” Papa quickly grabs Matt’s hand and leads him to the kitchen.

“I’m not really hungry. Can I just go to my room?” Matt is eager to find Dewy and he is sure that he can find him in his room.

“Sure. But, if you need anything I’ll be in my work space, okay?” Papa gives a small smile and Matt runs fast to his room after.

“There you are! I’ve been looking for you!” Matt seems relieved to see Dewy. Dewy is sitting in the sofa, just like he was last night.

“I’m always here Matty, don’t worry!” Dewy is all smiles when he sees Matt. Matt is ready to spill what happened at school to Dewy.

“I’m so excited Dewy! We’re going to have a bunch of new friends. I met Luna, Lilly, Adam and Will. They are super nice. You are going to like them!” Matt is very excited in sharing his stories. Excitement can be seen clearly from his eyes.

“That’s nice! I can’t wait to see them.” Dewy is as excited as Matt. He displays the same amount of excitement.

“They are coming here tomorrow. Since I am the new kid, they want to see the house.” Matt explains while taking out his books from the bag.

“That’s fun. We can play together, then.” Dewy is looking closely at Matt’s face.

“Of course, I’m very happy.” Matt replies and he turns around to see a pale look on Dewy’s face. He quickly approaches Dewy, “Are you okay? You don’t look very nice.”

“I’m okay. I think I just need some rest.” Dewy lies down on Matt’s bed.

“Sure, you can rest. I’m going to do my homework anyway.” Matt prepares himself in his study table and quickly catches up with the lessons. 

↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭↭

The next day, Papa prepares snack for Matt’s new friend. Matt has informed Papa about his new friends who are coming after school.

A bus stops in front of the house. This time the steps sound more crowded. Matt knocks the door and Papa opens it, “Hey kids! Welcome to Matt’s house!”

A bunch of ‘thanks’ and smiles is shown to Papa. He seems as excited as Matt, “I made some snacks. It’s in the kitchen.”

“Thanks, Papa.” Matt leads his new friends to the kitchen. Papa does not want to bother his son’s new bonding session with his friends so he directly goes to his work space.

“This is nice.” Luna’s eyes wonder around the house.

“Wait until you see Dewy! He is a good friend of mine. Let me call him.” Matty is excited to introduce Dewy to his new friend. He searches in his bedroom but he is not there. He looks for Dewy again in the other room but he cannot seem to find him anywhere. He finally gathers again with his friends who are waiting in the back porch, “I can’t find him.”

“Well, maybe he’s going somewhere?” Adam motions his hand in the chair beside him so that Matt will sit beside him.

“Yeah we can see him again next time. I’m also curious to see him since you can’t seem to stop talking about him.” Will sips his drink and gets comfortable on his seat.

“Well yeah, he is my best friend. I don’t really have any close friends, or any friends to say the least before you guys. I’m always moving because of my mom’s job but I always have Dewy by my side.” Matt explains to his new friends while still wondering where Dewy goes.

“That’s cool Matt. I hope we can meet them next time.” Lilly offers a smile to Matt.

Time goes quickly. They spend almost two hours getting to know each other, telling stories, laughing and playing games. Matt is very glad to have found new friends in the new neighborhood he is in. At last, Luna, Lilly, Will and Adam go home. After saying goodbye with Papa and Matt, they promise to come back again on the weekend.

After his friends go home, Matt remembers again about Dewy. He walks to his room and check it again in case Dewy has come back. Sure enough, Dewy is there, sitting on the couch like he always do but his face is paler than he was yesterday. Matt quickly comes closer to Dewy, “are you okay? Why are you so pale?”

“I’m okay. How’s the visit? I’m sorry I can’t be there.” Dewy quickly distracts Matt question with another topic. But apparently Matt refuses to let it go, “Where have you been?”

Suddenly, there is a light knock on the door, “Matty?”

“Come in.” Matt stands up and sees his father on the door. “Who are you talking to?” Papa questions him.

“Dewy of course, who else? He was gone before.” Matt explains to his father.

Papa approaches Matt and asks him to sit, “Can we talk?”

“Sure, what is it about?” A bunch of topics pops up on his head.

“Matty, you have your friends now. I think it’s time for you to stop talking to Dewy.” Papa gently put his hand on Matt’s shoulder.

“Why? He’s my friend! We have done everything together since I was a kid.” Matt sounds surprised hearing what his father has to say.

“I know, but you have your new friends now. Your real friends. Why don’t you talk to them?” Papa justifies his previous statement.

“What do you mean? He’s as real as my other friends Papa. We play and talk together. He’s there when no one wants to be my friend, remember? He’s…” Just when Matt wants to point out how Dewy is as real as his friends, he turns his head and finds Dewy’s image starting to fade.
“I’m sorry Matty. I can’t stay. My job is finished. You have you real friends now. Goodbye.” And just like that, Dewy is gone.  

Comments