HAPHAZARD JOURNAL #1: March & April Film Recap.



Hello to whoever read this blog or come across this post somewhere! So as the title tell you, I’m going to share my thoughts related to the film that I have watched in the Cinema. I actually have planned to write this for a while HOWEVER my lack of motivation and apparently I am a professional procrastinator so I just write this now. I am aware that these films are kind of out of date and a lot of people have watched it, but…well, I’m going to write it anyway (what a great reason right?). As information, I am not a pro film critic or anything, I’m just a film enthusiast who is easily amazed by kick-ass film effects; therefore, this is just my honest thoughts of them. With all being said, here we go.

So in the last two months I have watched 6 films ("in the cinema". I’m only a university student so I’m broke, don’t judge me ok). They are: Logan, Kong: Skull Island, Jakarta Undercover, Power Ranger, Fast 8, and the Guardian of the Galaxy. 

1. LOGAN


Release Date: March 3rd, 2017.
Box Office   : $ 607.9 million (Box Office Mojo)

The first stop is Logan. At first, I am not really interested in watching the film since I do not follow the X-Men universe so I thought that I would not understand the film. However, when I see some people said nice things about it, I am curious to see it; moreover, imdb provided 8.4 ratings for the film so I believe that’s a good sign. As I watched the film, I absolutely like it. I like Logan and Professor X relationship throughout the film. It is kind of a love hate relationship because no matter how big Logan’s rage is to him, he will do anything to protect Professor X. Furthermore, my favorite scene is when Logan makes sure that Prof X eats his medicine and he just pulls out his tongue, hilarious! AND let’s not forget the elephant in the room, which is Laura. She is such a bad-ass! She does not say a word almost in the entire film but she is very expressive and I find her scream during her fights is interesting, I have no idea why. Logan and Laura’s relationship is also indescribable because they have no idea that they can have family, but at the end –Spoiler alert!—when Logan died and said “so this is what it feels like” and Laura said “daddy”, that’s it. I cried. What a great ending. I feel like this is the only superhero film that makes me feel emotional. This is the last time for Hugh Jackman to be the X-men and I have a feeling that this film, especially him will be remembered for sure.

2. KONG: SKULL ISLAND

Release Date: March 10th, 2017.
Box Office   : $ 562.4 million (Box Office Mojo)

The next is Kong: Skull Island. The film is a reboot of King Kong (1993 & 2003). Overall, I think that the story is plain and predictable. However, what I love the most about the film is the effects because it is insanely crazy and beautiful. I like the scene where Kong fights with the Lizard thingy also when the helicopter is shot in slow motion. (I realized that it’s very short but I don’t have much to say for the film)


3. MOAMMAR EMKA'S JAKARTA UNDERCOVER

Release Date: February 23rd, 2017.

The third is Moammar Emka’s Jakarta Undercover. In the beginning I have zero idea about the film, however, I see the trailer and it intrigued me. So, I decided to give it a chance and kind of feeling shock when I know that there is an age limit. You must be 21+ to watch the film. All in all, I can say that I have never seen domestic film like this, you can say that it is very ‘rare’. I think that this is a quite ground-breaking film for domestic works. Moammar Emka is a writer known for his controversial works such as Jakarta Undercover. He often writes his book with deep investigation conducted for years and he also did several approaches to get information for his books, such as personal approach by hanging out until heart-to-heart conversation (kapanlagi.com). The story tells about Pras who is a journalist and has ambition to reveal how night life is in the Capital City of Jakarta. He goes undercover by being friends with people who share interesting personalities and jobs such as prostitute, stripper and many more. In general, I was very impressed by Baim Wong who plays role as Yoga and has illegal business in the film. His acting amazed me on how he can portray someone who is in power but also frail for love. The highlight of the film for me was the actors and actresses for they perform amazingly and are not afraid to be in a film with a very controversial concept.
4. SABAN'S POWER RANGERS

Release Date: March 24th, 2017.
Box Office   : $ 134.9 million (Box Office Mojo)
After that is Saban's Power Ranger or simply Power Ranger. My inner childhood has certainly encouraged me to see the film because I often saw Power Rangers in the television back then. So I thought it will be a nice throw back. Nevertheless, I don’t really know every inch of details related to Power Rangers, I only understand the big picture of it. Generally, I think that it is very nice throw back for me. I get goosebumps when the rangers are finally in their suit and they get out of the cave, like finally! I also love the scene when they fight with Rita Repulsa with all the robots and stuff. It surely brings back a lot of good memories!  Moreover, Billy Cranston—the blue ranger is really funny and always knows how to light up the mood.
5. THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS (FURIOUS 8)

Release Date: April 14th, 2017.
Box Office   : $ 1.01 billion (Box Office Mojo)
As a well-known franchise, I, of course, am interested to see the film. Not to mention that in the opening week it has already gained popularity until making it the highest-grossing opening of all time (deadline.com). There are several things which I love about the film. First is the little surprises; such as the lady that Dom sees at the bar, turns out to be Deckard Shaw’s mum, the driver of the van who blocks the camera is the man who races with him in the first scene of the film. These little surprises, for me, are making the film appear to be more interesting because then I mumble to myself, well that was clever. Next is, Tej and Roman relationship. I find their relationship very amusing; they hate as well as care for each other. Their interaction with one and another is really entertaining. Moreover, I love the scene where Letty, Tej, Roman, Hobbs, Little Nobody and everyone are saving Dom from fire in Russia where they create shield with their cars to save him. I think with that action they really display the essence of family which is the main issue of the film. Last but not least, I love the fact that Dom named his son Brian, I mean come on (I almost cried). It is kind of showing that Brian will never really leave them no matter what.
6. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

Release Date: May 5th, 2017
Box Office   :  $ 167 million (Box Office Mojo)

People have been waiting for the film, including me so I have high expectation for it. You can say that I am not disappointed because it does not fail to make me laugh which I expect, remembering the first volume which is quite hilarious. The scene stealer for me is of course, Baby Groot. He is extremely adorable! I think the story centers on how the guardians have grown closer to each other and eventually bring essence of family to one and another. I mean you can see when they are about to leave Peter and Drax keeps shouting 'where is quill???', Gamora cries and Rocket said "I cannot lose another friend", THE FEELS. My favorite part probably when Yondu sacrifices himself for Peter. Peter does not realize that he had a father figure all this time and when he finally realized that he is right before his eyes, he is gone. Also, I love Drax and Mantis, I think their relationship is just very pure and innocent. 


That is all for the film recap for now, it's not much but I'd like to give it a try *insert grin emoji*. If I watch other films again in the future, I will probably make one like this too. Thank you to whoever bothers to read this. See you on the next post!


*posters credit: google.com

Comments